Thursday, December 11, 2014

Pic a Day Advent #picadayadvent MESSENGER

   I'm borrowing a photo today from one of the crew at our UCA National Young Adult Leaders week which is people of a brilliant mix of cultures and backgrounds coming together to reflect on and be stretched in their talents, gifts, insights, beliefs and actions... Yesterday was a day modelled on some things we did with our Summer/Winter Campers, with visits offsite to places that would inform and shape a challenge to young adults and bring them into contact with missional and evangelical programs and spaces and give a picture of the amazing global work of the UCA... or I hope so, that's what I assume knowing the curators of the week and the impact of such admittedly 'exposure' short term visits.
   Now to the picture from the exterior of 'The Wayside Chapel' which is often on my mind since those middle of camp days. I'm drawn to it's unconventional shape and history, it's vitality, it's place in the community and the space for worship, service and helping offer people wholeness through that service. Worship happens there 10am Sundays and although I knocked back Graham Long's offer to lead on occasion a few year back [I live in Newcastle 2hrs away and was ending that role so I wouldn't even be in Sydney 'some' weekends etc] It still sits there as something I should take up...
I have decided early next year to drop in on a Sunday and see how things happen normally before offering to go back... lots of media and Facebook reports over the last 12 months have kept it in my mind!!
   I think the revamp, the rooftop garden, the space and facilities look amazing and although I know we have local projects to support I would still like to engage local young people in trip/s to the Wayside...
   I also haven't forgotten Matt Noffs challenge to set up a Street University in Newcastle as the Wayside always reminds me of how the church's original treatment of Ted and The Wayside was indescribably poor under any circumstances...
The Wayside Chapel in Sydney's Kings Cross, truly a MESSENGER of hope...

No comments: