Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Movies 2017

It's that time of year... here are the movies I've seen in 2017!!
You'll be able to tell from the expanded number that I took a flight to the US return and had collectively about 4-5 hrs sleep in 36hrs... 
I think I've remembered them all, far fewer in the cinema than some times.

Best film I enjoyed in 2017: jury still out...


Films:
"John Wick 2" ludicrously great, love the premise of contract assassins not doing business in the hotel 
"Logan" close to great X Men finale story
"Before I Fall" thoughtful
"Beauty and the Beast" filled in 3hrs
"T2 Trainspotting" a couple of stunning cinematic moments
"Ghost in the Shell" derivative but hey
"Backburning" short film, great insight into the Oils time in the outback talking reunion
"Step" doc-film about a School for struggling students with a hip hop program
"The Zookeepers Wife" stunning
"The Fate of the Furious" better than some but sign of Hollywood in need of some inspiration
"The Circle" almost a great film and premise
"Guardians of the Galaxy 2" even better than the first one
"King Arthur Legend of the Sword" stunning special effects (code for dud story)
"Snatched" I want my money back
"Alien Covenant" I liked it a lot more than I expected to but always feel dudded by the sequel set up
"Atomic Blonde" almost great
"Wakefield" I loved this, would have enjoyed more story development
"Baywatch" air flight fodder
"Wonder Woman" a good start finished with a whimper 
"The Mummy" surprised how good this was
"Cars 3" give it up
"Transformers The Last Knight" it was OK
"Spiderman Homecoming" 5/10
"Going in Style" air flight fodder
"War on the Planet of the Apes" hard to get into, lost it's way, so much potential
"Dunkirk" hmmmnn, The cinematic technique didn't grab me and the film made me angry
"McLaren" great insights into F1 and Bruce McLaren'd driven genius
"American Assassin" 2hrs of my life I won't get back
"American Made" Tom Cruise mis-cast but it did work and is a cracking yarn
"Blade Runner 2049" proving yet again dystopia isn't my thing
"Thor Rangnarok" Moments of brilliance mixed with schmalz...
"Justice League" An OK start, great escapist day off material

2017 was the year of leaving the cinema or turning off the film early:
"The Lego Batman Movie" I just couldn't get into it, I thought why bother
"The Boss Baby" started watching and just thought... I just don't care about this story
"Kong Skull Island" Just not interested at all

Catch ups ahead:
Have pre ordered Ben Elton’s "Three Summers"
"Star Wars The Last Jedi" 12.20am session tomorrow night Thursday early hours
"I, Tonya" with Margot Robbie
"Pitch Perfect 3" cringe worthy entertainment
"Kingsman: The Golden Circle" appeals to my humour
"Wonder Wheel" sounds interesting, not great reviews but that's Woody Allen
"Downsizing" like the premise, hope it works
"Murder on the Orient Express" willing to try it

"Flatliners" I like the actors for this remake 

No comments: