Sunday, December 03, 2017

Advent B&W Photo Reflections 2nd December 2017


   Tradition is something I'm used to reframing... in sport, my attitude to community and my vocation. But sometimes simple homemade 'practices' unique to a time or place carry on and create their own meaning. So it is for myself and a bunch of mates who maybe 25-30 years ago started to wear red socks to friends Weddings and to offer the blokes involved a few (read a few packets) of "Fruit Tingles." On occasion one of our number would walk to the front of the church 'just before' the arrival of the Bride and make a point of handing over the packet/s... I varied only in my era of mixed socks, which still gets a run today, by wearing one red and one orange sock...
For a few years, through a variety of life circumstances taking me out of my friendship circle, I gave up the practice and I haven't been to a Wedding for years... Today, officiating, I wore my red socks and provided the groom and groomsmen with a last moment lolly!!! I laughed!
   It takes me back to great times, to seminal life shaping times and to stories and experiences that shaped who I am... for me that's Advent, "staying awake" to the story we know, looking forward to ho it will be in the future... reframed, not lost, relived and significant!!

No comments: