Saturday, June 09, 2012

"Curious" not George, but many young people...



Mr Rogers is a US TV legend who pioneered a softly spoken version of taking kids seriously and encouraging them to use their imaginations... Mark Oestreicher's FB entry pointed me towards this funny remix clip that will get a run somewhere... I liked it so much I wasn't going to share it... but others will find a funny or appropriate place to use it I'm sure. I know some of the meaning is lost in Oz translation BUT if you get it you get it...
For me it fits with some thinking I had been doing about discipleship [or education] and imagination. Young people won't all make sense of the Christain faith or helpful faith practices without some shared wisdom but there's a real importance around allowing for imagination or questioning before attempting to 'educate' with 'jug and mug' facts...
I think what I'm saying is young people won't work it all out for themselves BUT encouraging curiosity,imagination and questions is a way into sharing, teaching and interpreting experiences that's more helpful than teaching 'facts'... that's what I think today anyhow...
"Curious..." is yet another good theme for an event, camp, reflection...

No comments: