Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Elermore Vale Mosque Stopped for Traffic Reasons

A Regional Planning Panel knocked back the plans for a new local Mosque this week after what has been a drawn out process of review and study. It's a difficult issue because I am completely supportive of the idea of a Mosque in our area [with the group already present in a local Wallsend hall but hoping to expand]. My issue is that it was being planned for completely the wrong location...
It's a suitably large block of land [with some bush at the rear of the site] nestled in the local neighbourhood and just off the road for traffic from the city and Glendale/Cardiff etc. Entry/Exit from Croudace Rd would add to an already painful and dangerous short stretch of road.... otherwise...
Despite the discipline and level headedness of a local community group, there are still plenty of prejudiced people who were hoping for this outcome and I am uncomfortable being counted amongst their number... I really hope that Lake Rd or Glendale could provide a suitable alternative and that plans move swiftly but it's hard to say.
I made it my business to checkout the plans for the Garsdale/Croudace Rd roundabout at our access point which drives me nuts twice a day trying to turn right... that was Christmas and it's still not built... it was no panacea though... we have hassles without a new development!!

No comments: