Saturday, October 14, 2017

Midnight Oil 'Song a Day' #39 "In the Valley"


  I wasn't going to include this song in my walk through the Oils catalogue BUT that's only because such a deeply personal recording of a life lived needs just the right venue and occasion.
   I actually loved this song when I first heard it. In the pre social media age only a 'tragic' who pursued the story knew much of many band members lives and Peter's especially. It's only since that time I've met people who were at school with him... but if this 42 song setlist were real, then it fits after 'Put Down That Weapon' and serves as drinks break for the rhythm section ahead of blistering three song close... Read about these things in PGs memoir, hear of his brother Matthew and this song is all the more rich...
   Over obsessing with the band [and a couple of others like U2] in my Youth Work I was always keen to use their songs 'about something' to promote thinking, discussion and active choices about ethos and values... any sharing of motives, story and choices would do... even Sting, the Beatles, and goodness me 'Oasis' but as Liam would tweet "as you were"... In more recent years Mumford & Sons, Vance Joy, Missy Higgins, Paul Kelly et al would get a run...
   Not sure why but this song reminds me of a night with a few mates at the famous 'Tivoli' pub at Cabramatta. Flourescent mid riffed waitresses and decor. Front End Loader, Tim Freedman and the Oils on a week night... A bloke who yelled and interrupted the band some time later at Newtown [I think he was one and the same] took to the stage before the Oils, checking gap tape, adjusting cords etc... by the gesturing from security and the sound desk it was soon clear he was not a roadie but more likely a bipolar sufferer with delusions of grandeur. We stood at the front and I was next to a bloke I'd seen a few times before. Blonde, black t-shirt, solid and a little over excited. It's the night I caught a drumstick just before he did and he was happy for me and told me to stick it down my jeans because some idiot would try to snatch it from me on the way out [he was right]... but I saved it!!
   At one point mid song he's screaming his lungs out, we all are, and he knows all the lyrics on the night better than me and everyone else. Peter loses track and as he's looking straight at my new friend he gets the cue for the right verse and as he sings it gestures to the bloke a thank you, a sign he's an idiot for forgetting and a pointing to the guy for credit that the song wasn't derailed!!! The fella next to me just grinned and sang on... he was also flawlessly correct with the lyrics!! It wasn't this song...

"In the Valley"
My grandfather went down with the MonteVideo
The rising sun sent him floating to his rest
And his wife fled south to Sydney seeking out safe harbor
A North Shore matron she became with some paying guests
My father went down with the curse of big cities
Traffic tolls and deadlines took him to his peace
Now Bob Dyer glued us to our seats
And lawns were always Victa neat
Whilst Menzies fawned at royal fleet do you remember?
In the valley I walk, I took some comfort there
In the valley I walk, cold comfort I can hear you talk
In the valley I walk, who will take me there?
When my mother went down it was a stiff arm from Hades
Life surprises and tears you like the southerly
She always welcomed the spring always welcomed the stranger
I don't see too many around like this
Oh no, that's what I'm looking for, yeah, what we're looking for
In the valley I walk - who will take me there
In the valley I walk - cold comfort I can hear you talk
In the valley I walk - I took some comfort there
In the valley I walk - oh rough justice I hear you talk
In the valley I walk - to meet my watershed
I hope virtue brings it's own reward
And I hope the pen is mightier than any sword
I hope the kids will take it slow
I hope my country claims it's own
In the valley I walk - I cried yes I cried I was down then I crawled
Mercy's arms all around me when I was down there
In the valley I walk - do you read me they can hear me in the valley

No comments: