Friday, October 13, 2017

Midnight Oil 'Song a Day' #38 "Put Down That Weapon"



   My generation lived at a time and with a feeling of the the genuine nuclear threat. It was the era needing a non proliferation treaty and the 'doomsday clock' was "minutes to midnight" another Oils lyric... This song says it well and urges a rethink "can you tell me will our freedom remain". It's a classic Sydney song with garden Island and Jervis Bay nearby, with Pine Gap station and a world seemingly plunged back into this space by the lunacy of Kim Jong Un and Donald Trump...
   This was an interesting single from 'Diesel and Dust' as it formed a link to an album like "Red Sails in the Sunset" with it's post apocalyptic album artwork of a crater in Sydney Harbour!! It's a great live track whether in unplugged mode or full on rocking.
   For my list it marks heading into the last five tracks... Hope Estate in October 21st and I've decided to stop my list mid week, rather than run right up to it!! I want to spend the final few days just listening to my music writ large and getting ready for something words can't describe about how excited I am to again see the Oils live... there really is nothing like it... I've seen some great bands, but the intimacy and immediacy of this music I love, the power of the rhetoric and the lyrics, the musicianship and creativity across 180+ songs... I think the Oils are down to only 20+ unplayed from their pre-tour whiteboard exercise, that's amazing!! This includes the newly announced benefit gig in Fremantle where they plan to play [10, 9,8... 10 to 1] in full!!!

Anyhow, for this song, google a current tour version and see what you think.
1987 sounds pretty good still!!

"Put Down That Weapon"
Under the waterline
No place to retire
To another time
The eyes of the world now turn
And if we think about it
And if we talk about it
And if the skies go dark with rain
Can you tell me will our freedom remain
Put down that weapon or we'll all be gone
You can't hide nowhere with the torchlight on
And it happens to be an emergency
Some things aren't meant to be
Some things don't come for free
Above the waterline
Point the finger yeah point the bone
It's the harbour towns
That the grey metal ships call home
And if we think about it
And if we talk about it
And if the seas go boiling black
Can you tell me what you'll do about that
Put down…

No comments: