Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Midnight Oil: A Reminder


Hat tip Cameron Sundblom, who's blogging about significant gigs and Oils experiences, for this...

"The show was another gem that reinforced how hard the band were working this tour. It’s difficult to quantify the energy of a band with as much relentless energy as the Oils, but there was something extra special about the Capricornia tour. There were no lifetime debuts this time, but we scored rare performances of Outside World, Hercules and Tin Legs and Tin Mines. Pete also issued a heartfelt thank you to the people of Sydney’s Northern Beaches for supporting them so loyally for more than 25 years. When Pete thanked the Melbourne crowd six days earlier, I took it for what he literally meant – a simple thank you. But my ears pricked up this time. This was the Oils’ spiritual home and I felt there was more subtext beneath tonight’s gratitude. I remember speaking to Martin about it after the show, but we never concluded that the end was approaching. Officially, it was now just 18 days away."

   This is the gig we NCYC 2003 mob took in as recreation and unwind from the stresses of planning and work. I've recounted elsewhere, my profanity included push in the back of the punter in front of me with his girlfriend on his shoulders, inviting them to "move away."  For goodness sake, rock festival 10,000 deep in the crowd, dating a 4' tall blonde, OK, but please... not right in front of me in Manly Leagues small room about 20m from the stage... He got one sight of me behind him, perhaps faux rage in my eyes and just said "sorry mate" as he sheepishly put her down on the floor.
   Asked later "what did I think of the gig?" I commented that when I heard how great the sound mix was for 'Diesel' I knew it would be something special but I felt I had just seen the Oils for the last time... just felt it... apart from a Tsunami and a Bushfire it was true... and now of course "The Great Circle Tour." When I told Rob Hirst about this he said he wished I'd warned them because they had no idea!! Just over 2 weeks later Pater announced he was leaving and headed off to Greenpeace AGM with Tweed Heads Leagues the final gigs!!

No comments: