Monday, May 28, 2012

Creative Spaces: TEDx, Wickham Motorcycles and Newcastle Art Gallery




While still in recovery from the popular flu virus that seems to be doing the rounds [2 weeks and counting] I've had a busy time 'escaping' to feed my introversion and need for 'creative space' to actually come to grips with challenges and tasks ahead!! I will write more about TEDxSydney soon BUT it was just a brilliant day of tiring 'listening' to about 15 'nearly 18min' TALKS and half a dozen musicians/percussionists over the one day at Carriageworks in Eveleigh on Saturday. I may even have an ideas sheet for the next NCYC planners of great group stuff I saw!!
This morning I start what is going to be a busy week trying to finish my CERT IV Training & Assessment material. I knew I needed to be fuelled and to catch some temporary inspiration which would soon not be available so I headed for [1] a coffee at the 'Wickham Motorcycle Co' Cafe and [2] Art Express at Newcastle Regional Art Gallery, which are a travelling selection of HSC artworks from 2011 Year 12 students.
The Wickham Cafe has little or no weekday parking close by but I found a spot and ventured to the great shed space they have with vintage bikes, great coffee and lots of newspapers. A few families and groups came and went and the in house sound gear gave away the stated intention of having music and weekend gatherings for various enthusiasts. I'd love to partner in using a space like this 'out of hours' for a 'faith conversations; Salt Factory-esque gathering... and will keep this bubbling along. I drove past the 'Sourdough Cafe' on the way and will coffee there next week!!
Art Express offers insight into contemporary art forms and fuels my status as 'pretend' creative by inspiring me to think about similar ways the appraoches could work with my own ideas... I loved the video screen, pencil box and tryptych's in the collection. It confirmed for me that I want to use sticker alphabet to add a wall quote to my current project of livening up an informal gathering space in our offices here... Einstein v Brueggemann so far...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for opening my eyes to a new (motorcycle themed) cafe.

T