Friday, May 25, 2012

30 DAY SONG CHALLENGE on Facebook CATCH UP



30 DAY SONG CHALLENGE: DAY FIVE A song that reminds you of someone? “Khe San” Cold Chisel
This song reminds me of “Peter This n That” who used to visit my one bedroom fibro flat when I lived at Bar Beach in the early 1990s. He first came offering to wash cars or windows for money and I shouted him a burger in Pacific St instead. ‘Peter’ because I think that was his name… I was too embarrassed to ask after the first few visits when I forgot and ‘This n That’ was his answer to most questions I asked.
Peter only had to open the fridge to see my claims of no fresh food were not about trying to get rid of him. He used to come and listen to music [Chisel, Oils etc] or watch a DVD while I worked at the breakfast bar on the computer.
I knew he really did sleep in the local clothing bin at the Darbt St, Anglican HQ when he turned up one day wearing my chambray shirt, jeans, LA Raiders t-shirt and old adidas joggers after a spring clean. I didn’t see Peter for a while when I moved, until one day in Elder St, Lambton. He was clear eyed and looked well. He was living with a girlfriend and had taken drastic action to resolve his warrants and other issues by joining the army!!
“Peter this n that” would have enjoyed this 2003 version of Chisel!!




30 DAY SONG CHALLENGE: DAY 4 A song that makes me sad?
It took me a while to think about this one but the choice is "Better Be Home Soon" sung acoustically by Neil Finn at Australia's ARIA Music Awards in tribute to the late Paul Hester. It was a sad moving moment after the story collage... We saw Crowded House at the Opera House a little before where Neil played not just acoustically but unplugged from amps and the mic as a 'remembering' of Paul H who was a troubled funny man who died too young and in pain. There is a power in all music to move us, to effect change and to speak...

Check it out here

30 DAY SONG CHALLENGE: DAY 3 A song that makes me happy?
Shane is a clever songwriter and guitarist stepping out again from behind Kasey Chambers for this solo effort from the album 2006 'Faith & Science.' I just like it and I play it up loud in the car often!! He had success in early bands and Triple J Unearthed and met Nash, Bill and Kasey Chambers recording an earlier album. I'm writing my next communal song using this tune!!



30 Day Song Challenge DAY TWO: A song I hate... dislike, don't like listening to, hate is a pretty strong word. This one comes readily to mind given the girls TV viewing of Hanna Montana!!



30 Day Song Challenge [I finally decided to take the challenge] Day One Your Favourite Song:
I almost can't split two songs but today this one wins. Great listening when you're into your sixth day of feeling unwell!! It was always an unoff...icial competition to pick the opening riff early and start the chant to let the Oils know you knew what song was coming. This was a great show at Newtown Theatre for Real Thing in front of only about 300 punters!!

No comments: