Monday, February 09, 2009

"Viva La Vida" Coldplay Grammy

I know people love or hate Coldplay and they cop a lot of flak in the UK for insipid lyrics. I for one value the mood and vibe of their songs and the absence of pretentiousness that's there in spades with other bands who actually claim to be 'biggest in the world.' Anyhow I digress...
The digital revolution that brought us US TV shows 'straight off the satellite' late in 2008 has meant that ARENA on Foxtel have had the Grammy's on live today and the Oscars will be live either on 9 or Foxtel later this month too...
Therefore I can celebrate having watched U2, Kid Rock, Radiohead and others live today [while convalescing from a head cold] AND the fact that Coldplay 'Viva La Vida' won Song of the Year in their first of seven categories!!
I know it's almost a power ballad, I know it's over used on TV and in sport coverage BUT I just like the song and find it moving...
The show had lots of fun duets [including the Jonas Brothers and Stevie Wonder] and I'll post Coldplay here when youtube catches up!!
As we speak they just snagged Rock Album of the Year also...

The Grammy's are also good as a reminder of other songs I/we liked during 2008. Other notable winners include:
"Say" John Mayer linked with the movie 'Bucket List' for Best Male Pop Vocal
"Rockferry" Duffy with Best Pop Vocal Album
"Sex on Fire" Kings of Leon with Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals
"In Rainbows" Radiohead with Best Alternative Music Album

Check out the winners here

No comments: