Monday, January 21, 2008

Best Five Movies of the Year


Over at Urban Stone Jono has taken Ray's challenge and named five TOP movies for 2007!! It's taken me a while to recall five quality films from 2007 and until yesterday to catch up with one of them which rocketed straight to pole position in my list. I've already posted my worst list here!

The only reason I can complete this list is because during 2007 while staying in Sydney for work I pushed myself to see some films rather than just keeping on working in the evenings and this helped me maintain a healthy imagination, a collection of stories or thoughts and kept me sane!!

1."Reign Over Me" Adam Sandler Don Cheadle Liv Tyler
Those who dislike Adam Sandler's infantile humour and usual fodder will have missed those key moments in films like 'The Wedding Singer', 'Click' and '50 First Dates' where he shows the full potential of his acting ability. This human story of friendship has you laughing then crying then laughing as two former college roommates help each other get their lives headed in a better direction.

2. "Bourne Ultimatum" Matt Damon
I'd looked forward to this trilogy from first hearing about it because of a link to two friends Barb and Tone who were obsessed with the original books in a Harry Potteresque kind of way as each was written and released and we knew they'd be good stories no matter how modified!!
For mine this third instalment is the best of the three and the NYPD camera work is a stunning way to present the frenetic pursuit and fight scenes!!

3. "Diehard 4.0"
Yep, gotta love a Bruce Willis flick where he brings down a helicopter by piloting a driver-less car up a car park ramp and into the chopper!! Corny, all the lines and yet a good storyline and a funny Kevin Smith cameo thrown in. The action scenes are the biggie in this film!!

4. "Spiderman 3" Tobey Maguire
Again the best of the three films despite yawning credibility and script gaps [good scripts make good films] They do get Peter Parker right in that cornball way but please.... EMO?
And Sandman was underplayed and simplified BUT I still enjoyed it...

5. "Transformers"
I saw this film on DVD 2 weeks after its cinema release and although I was unwell all weekend it certainly kept me entertained between episodes of the entire two series of the UK series "The Office"!! I was too old to have Transformers when I was a kid [way too old]!! But as I've recently been getting into my PSP the film was reminiscent of a number of games and the young stars had fun with their roles rather than take it all too seriously!!

Honourable Mentions:
"Final Winter"
Inspired by teams like Newtown and the end of local footy as we knew it with the professional era of National Rugby League!!
"Death at a Funeral"
Quirky funny and just ludicrous enough!!
"Amazing Grace"
Wilberforce and those who helped him bring an end to slavery in Britain 200 years ago!!

No comments: