Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Australian Enigmatic Test Cricket XI


I have way too much time on my hands and so I am also working on my 'enigmatic XI.' That is, the Aussie Test cricket side I would select that fits the description of most contradictory, inexplicable or mysterious. This can pertain to their selection, performance, personality or media persona!! Warney almost makes both teams!

Aussie Enigmatic Test XI

1. Graeme Wood for his 'running between wickets'
2. Graham Yallop although thrust into adversity it's still amazing he lasted
3. Kim Hughes [c] was unfairly treated by the ACB over the Chappell pick n choose tours
4. Dirk Wellham second innings century on debut then sunk without trace
5. David Hookes never quite nailed it, but would undermine the skipper beautifully in this XI
6. Shane Watson ????
7. Wayne Phillips solid performer but being given the gloves?
8. Ray Bright turned the ball less than O'Keefe... really an economical slow medium pacer
9. Scott Muller... can't bowl, can't catch, can't throw according to Warney!!
10. Sam Trimble... bowled a box full of nervous wides and disappeared out the players gate
11. Bruce Reid... injury prone stick figure legend

12th man would be Kerry O'Keefe by his own admission an average leggie
I couldn't find room for Slater, O'Donnell, Lehman, Law or Martyn but David Hookes squeeks in where I know someone will remind me of the glaring absentee I just can't think of right now!!

Oh and Greg Matthews would be the coach!!

No comments: