Friday, January 26, 2018

Tears and Thoughts on 26th January 2018

   Today I acknowledge the Awabakal people and the people of the many nations and the intricate culture/s and family systems that make up our indigenous people in Australia. I pay my respects to their Elders past, present and being formed for the future. Their 'songlines', stories and gentle spirit could be the making of this country one day.
   I'll celebrate today with a pie, a lamington (and I'll overdo it with a Hoadley's Violet Crumble) and have some small tender lamb steaks for the bbq tonight with the coleslaw... Aussie as...
   As I have twice this week I will almost shed a tear for the disregard of the many over the choice of this date and it's reinforcement in my lifetime of shifting from the nearest Monday to the actual day each year. There is no peace without justice!!
   I'm with Senator Penny Wong, "when we are at our best, we the country other countries in the world want to be"!! One example is the hosting of the Sydney Olympics in 2000. It's no accident that event did the work to listen, to include and to pay respect to our indigenous history. It allowed the representation to not be token or 'captured' without relationship.
   My other highlight this week came from Jim Courier's second invitation to Chung Hyeon at the tennis, to speak to fans in his first language and this was embraced by all present. This is the country we could be and sometimes are...
   Here's my obvious choice of song for today, "The Dead Heart" Midnight Oil with a bonus video from "The Making of Midnight Oil" Curators Workshop with Ross Heathcote and Rob Hirst et al. Rob explains the genius of their songwriting approach in coming up with this track. Hat Tip Jim Moginie for the end result!! Midnight Oil speaking truth to power and garnering support for the voiceless... We have choices that could be life giving if we listened instead of being offended...

Next I'm watching "Songlines" on NITV from 11.10am...

Here it is live from the MCG Bushfire Relief Concert in 2009!!



And the bonus story clip...

No comments: