Thursday, March 15, 2012

"Blue Like Jazz" The Movie



   Like many books I didn't get all the way through Donald Miller's "Blue Like Jazz" but what I read did capture my imagination and helped me see why it had been a best seller in the US for an extended run. I enjoyed how it spoke about my own story and how it was easy to devour pages at a time...
   The film is loosely based on the book and it is out in US cinemas by April 13 after Film Festival success... It's independently made and funded and almost didn't get there... it'll be interesting to see where it might screen here in Oz if at all initially... I'll ask Dendy!!
Check the films official site here

"Blue Like Jazz was extremely well-received at its World Premiere at Austin's Paramount Theater as part of the SXSW Film Festival. This is a powerful film about a young man's spiritual journey from an unthinking fundamentalism to trying to develop a better understanding of his own self. The story is loosely based on Don Miller's book about his own spiritual journey from an evangelical upbringing in Texas to the "Godless" Reed College in Portland, Oregon. It is a coming-of-age story about a man searching for his faith in the most unlikely place possible. This independent film is well-written and well-acted and keeps the viewers engaged. The story mixes quirky characters into a film that might otherwise feel heavy. The film's themes remind me of one of my favorite films, Saved!, which also deals with a character's spiritual struggle to find her own faith. This is the kind of provocative films that one wishes Hollywood would make, but which usually end up being produced by Independent films." User Review IMDB.com

No comments: