Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Top Tens 2011: Movies

   I begin my 2011 Top Tens today... I must have other stuff I'm really supposed to be doing!! This year the Movies List is a bit different. It usually only includes films I've seen, not reputation, and this time it's about films I enjoyed for some reason and films that 'tanked' with me!! They are not recommendations, just reflections!!

Top Ten Films I Enjoyed in 2011
1. 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2' better than it could have been... go Neville!!
2. 'Mr Poppers Penguins' surprisingly moving and a great deep story
3. 'The Guard' brilliantly dry and edgy
4. 'The Adjustment Bureau' could have been so much better but I enjoyed it
5. 'Captain America' appalling great scmaltz... can't wait for the 'Avengers'
6. 'Kung Fu Panda 2' classic
7. Gnomeo and Juliet/Rio as a family at the Heddon Greta Drive In [first visit for 30 years]
8. 'Bridesmaids' just wrong but a quirky likeable character
9. 'Transformers: Dark of the Moon' almost rubbish but escapist fun!!
10. 'Larry Crowne' heartwarming and I could relate to the emotions

Lots of the silly escapist comedies I saw made the top twenty as a sign of the year I had but didn't make the final trim down. I might have missed one somewhere and I haven't yet see 'Red Dog'

Worst Ten Films that Didn't work for me
1. 'The Green Hornet' major disappointment badly acted
2. 'Real Steel' oh dear, Hugh? It sounded good, it wasn't...
3. 'Three Musketeers' It ain't no Pirates...
4. 'Thor' Almost but Chris Hemsworth spoilt it for me
5. 'Limitless' a great idea that went nowhere
6. 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes' almost but not quite, patchy
7. 'X Men 1st Class' really, Kevin Bacon??? one film too many
8. 'Green Lantern' aweful
9. 'Cowboys & Aliens' so funny but you just shouldn't get funded for this
10. 'Jonny English Reborn' better than the first in my book but the story stopped

Jason Statham's 'The Mechanic' just missed the cut








1 comment:

Cakelyn said...

Wow, you saw a lot of films this year Rob! Caitlin