Friday, March 25, 2011

Annie Leibovitz at Sydney MCA





Annie Leibovitz photographs are icons of popular culture and moments in time capturing friends, family and the famous at significant times in their lives. Apart from that she is a pretty good photographer. It's was on my Sydney 'bucketlist' to go see her exhibition at the Museum of Contemporary Art [MCA] in Sydney's Rocks and it was well worth the $15 entry!!
There are photos I've seen on the cover of 'Rolling Stone' magazine and news worthy snaps, family pics and giant b&w landscapes... I was struck by the large prints of General Norman Schwartzkopf and Colin Powell... there are light and shade and body lines you don't notice on a busy magazine which show character not just light... e.g. the b&w of Robert De Niro is poor 'Godfather'!!
It reminded me of the power of large b&w images and text which are accessible for worship and reflection these days through various digital photo outlets...
I will be thinking about what I experienced and learned for some time... it's that curator/leader/facilitator thing again...

No comments: