Sunday, June 06, 2010

"Relationships Unfiltered" Andrew Root


I blogged before about Andrew's "Rediscovering Relational Youth Ministry" which cast me back to the very beginnings of my own formation and training in leadership for all things Hunter Easter Camp!! I suppose the notion of all ministry being relational suits my ethos, gifts and where I find energy BUT I reckon it's still true...
To this end Andrew's original book was very much a published thesis and while important and fundamental it was also a dense read.
"Relationships Unfiltered" is a more everyday language unpacking of the ideas and should be part of the training for every youth ministry leadership team, book club and/or network. If we ever knew how many Youth Workers were coming to an inservice training event in time we'd buy a copy for each participant and ask them to read it in advance!!
Why is this work significant? Well it's tied up in the subtitles... moving relational ministry from being a strategy of influence to a theology of incarnation and from relationships as a 'tool' to more practical helps for parents and volunteers in establishing authentic caring connections with teenagers!!
This is definitely a book about doing well what you already do, reminding you of why and sharpening the 'how' in our current context.

No comments: