Friday, June 11, 2010

"Other" by Kester Brewin


I am in a bit of a resource exploration mode at the moment and Jonny Baker just referred to the new book by Kester Brewin [author of 'Complex Christ] called "Other." You can read about it here and download an audio talk described as 'touching on the themes of the book.'
It's timely for me because I was briefly waxing on the other night at 'Salt [Factory]' about my recent random thought that maybe a lot of event attendance, Bible Study and exploration was a massive use of time where we could just be applying a few simple biblical truths or a few tenets of relating to God through the example of Jesus and maybe just get on with it... don't get me wrong, I remain unconvinced by my own thought... but what if we took seriously the notion of 'love God and love neighbour, with a few basic examples from the life of Jesus and just 'got on with it.' Maybe I'm advocating a six session intro and then action? Ongoing exploration could happen in normal community and be focused on praxis!! Of course those who push further always inform and normalise other simpler conversations... as I said, unconvinced... just wondering I suppose!!
I look forward to reading Kester's book because the subtitle "loving self, God and neighbour in a world of fractures"... seems eerily appropriate to where I'm at...
I still consider it 'opportunity lost' that when I was at Greenbelt in 2008 we happened to sit with a bunch of families in the circle for the eucharist outdoors and the 'Kester' spoken to by his partner was indeed Kester Brewin [whose photo I had not seen but whose work I had read] and I didn't ask the obvious question and have a quick convesation about his work!!

No comments: