Thursday, April 15, 2010

Rugby Season well and truly on us


To the bemusement of those who follow my blog for work purposes I again divert into other opinions and interests... namely RUGBY UNION!!
Todays SMH carries a story of the ACT Brumbies coaches advising Wallaby coach Robbie Deans that if he's looking for a ball playing number 8 who can link phase play and be all over the field then they shouldn't look past a recall for Stephen Hoiles!!
I am writing about it because I agree... Hoiles is a player suited to the slightly changed rules this year and thriving in the era after the mistakes of every player being told to bulk up and add muscle mass to their frame... the same stupidity that saw Kurtley Beale busting it in the gym at the expense of his mobility and finesse.
You could argue that a power forward with a direct game like Hodgson or even Leroy Houston might be a great fill in for Wycliff Palu [ruptured anterior cruciate ligament in the knee] but Hoiles offers a more complete game now proven against the bigger packs with the more even contest at the breakdown... we'll see when the squad is announced on May 27 or a week later if a few make the Super 14 final.
As a postscript I notice the Oz 9 network will cover free to air Rugby Union from next year [though they keep talking Bledisloe, meaning that lesser matches will be left to Foxtel alone I suspect] next comes the expanded Super 15 and Four Nations with Argentina soon!!
As for me I must get down to the Wanderers No2 Sportsground this first 5 weeks of the season before the ground is ripped up and redeveloped into a commercial centre, rectangular field with new grandstand etc... amazing plans!! If the lower grade coaches are hapy I plan to turn up ocassionally and give a hand this year now both my girls are at school and not yet in team sports themselves!!

No comments: