Monday, August 31, 2009

Rugby Finals Time

From time to time here I share a photo as a way of telling part of my story so random readers [all four of you] learn something you may or may not know about this writer and maybe even why stuff gets written here!

It's the end of August and here in Newcastle, Australia it's local rugby union finals time!
I'm in reflective mood and missing playing...
That in the past meant:
  • warming but fickle weather
  • if you're not fit now it's too late
  • magpie attacks when you are out doing extra km's of training
  • Friday salad bar lunch at Sizzler when it existed here and pasta dinner
  • my club and team all still in training
  • contributing something to about 12 Premierships in 20+ seasons
  • my entire family and social schedule is in disarray while we wait to see if we play and if it's Saturday or Sunday on succeeding weekends, then recovery and celebrations!
  • In 2009 all Wanderers senior open men's teams and the women's team have made the semi finals [dare I say, as usual]. A building 1st Grade team are Minor Premiers.

I have seen none of this except vicariously through the newspapers 'every week'. I stopped coaching in 2007 to have some more time for other stuff and because it was still painful not playing. I hope to go back next year [and you never know, World Golden Oldies is in Sydney this time next year!]

I took up rugby at the invitation of Gary White [BHP Time Office] at University when I thought I was going to Rugby League training [until lineout practice]. I discovered under those rules my weakness in one on one tackling was not, because as long as you halted your opponents progress the contest for the ball became 'live'. I loved it but after 2 years hurt my knee and had a season off. Lots of my team mates retired and all my mates from other parts of life were playing for the idiots at Wanderers Club [one O swore I'd never play for after a high tackle split lip and various big noting egotistical opponents.... still my mates couldn't be all wrong could they?

23 or so seasons later, 270+ games, 10 direct and 2 assisted Premierships we owned the Fourth Grade comp... if you wanted to win it you had to take it off us and occasionally that happened. I love rugby... belting people, running, passing, tactics, coaching players, time with the lads, endeavour beyond your own capability but possible in teams. As "Wanderer of the Year" in 1994 I was fortunate enough to Captain Coach my team to a premiership after finishing Minor Premiers as Captain/Coach first time up in 1993 but missing the Grand Final due to some nervous finals and poor decisions on my part.

In the summer of 1993/4 I lost some 15kgs and came back smaller and better but also scored a try in the Grand Final with 15 seconds time left and the nervous conversion kick by Brad put us in front for the first time in the whole game [against University] WIN!! We did the same to them again the next year to the strains of the Uni Club song as Les Sherwood scored in almost the same spot and Peter Harvey banged over the goal, game over!!

The toughest encounters were against Maitland [as many knew I grew up there and gave me hell] and our arch rivals Merewether [we hate the slime!!!!] 1st Grade plays them this coming week in the Qualifying Semi [I feel it my duty to attend and vent my spleen at the green fiends]!!

I have previously blogged about being unfit and on prednisone for food allergies in 2003 when I was hit in a three man tackle and ruptured both my kneecap tendons [surgery, 7 weeks in hospital, 3 months off work etc etc]. I had begun to say I intended to play until I couldn't anymore and pretty much lived up to that... but like anything you enjoy that you lose, I still miss it and 23 years of memories are fond but do not equate to sitting some smart mouth opposition player on his backside on the ground, driving a scrum backwards, hitting a ruck, or running the ball into a 80kg inside centre and leaving tyre tracks up his back as you lay the ball back for someone with skills to score the try!!

Anyhow, go the two blues, and I'll enjoy reading about their endeavours and shouting at idiots in green for a few more Saturdays this year!! There are literally hundreds of characters and anecdotes. Chief among them the Ian Maytom line after a 2nd grade loss to Boolaroo at Boolaroo [nobody in the sheds or the crowd could recall the last one... we played very badly]. In the pained silence Ian suggested it was time for him to "go home, run a hot bath, get out the razor blades, and put on a Tracy Chapman record!" I guess you had to be there but it instantly broke the mood as black humour so often does.

My final story is of Ben Ryan [1st grader with loads of ability but a few issues] who travelled with us to Merriwa for a 5th grade game and while running rings around the opposition, struck up a verbal battle with the granite table on legs who held up the Merriwa scrum... jokes about his mum, inbreeding, playing tips, catch me if you can etc etc... Benny also gave away free kick after free kick and the big bloke kept taking the tap and hitting it up into us 10m away.

I had to tell Benny it was funny, but to stop[ because cranky Frank was belting the daylights out of me every time I had to tackle the steam train...] still, the sight of Benny jogging off to the 'sin bin' for 10 mins in white joggers, for inciting a fight, still giving Frank a mouthful was pretty funny... until he ran into me again!!

No comments: