Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Greenbelt.UK.US Trip GREENBELT #2









'Greenbelt Festival' is an amazing part of the UK Festival culture with 20,000 people of genuinely all ages bunkering down for the August Bank Holiday Weekend at Cheltenham Racecourse. The theme for 2008 was 'Rising Sun' and the feature Speakers included: Brian McLaren, Frank Shaeffer, Sarah Miles, Pete Rollins and Phillip Yancey!!

The weekend includes: bands, art, worship, workshops, food and 16 shower units for 20,000 people at was it 3 or 4 pounds a 15min timelsot. It was cheaper to share...

What did I learn [there are more than one or two aspects of my Greenbelt experience I'm still thinking about and won't have time to reflect on further until after our annual Synod meeting in a week and a half]:
A. I was reminded by Fuzz Kitto and several others of the great gift to the church that are Youth Workers [good ones anyhow]... bringing:
i. Contextual skills
ii. Relational skills
iii. Ability to adapt and change
iv. POMO perspectives on culture, arts and media
They will make excellent leaders in missional contextual faith communities. I'll pick this up later about places we visit and the 'fresh expressions' concept of 'pioneer ministers.'

B. "Mission shaped church" is as simple as it can be boiled down and I prefer to think about this cf 'the emerging church.' Faith communities engaged in their world and location, aiming for authentic relationships and striving to tackle life, questions, to call people and systems on the rubbish that goes on and intent on recognising and fostering God where they find God will shape a future.
The EDS advert about building the plane while its flying is a helpful metaphor for thinking about changing the existing church. I need to be on about helping the existing church make space for new things with permission, resources and encouragement.

C. The Friday night forum was almost enough input to keep me going for the weekend. This is where my thinking about my own 'faith community' connections began, leading me to have one of three choices to follow in terms of what I want to build on rather than always be helping others 'in theory land'. In terms of what I have been 'banging on about for years' it was empowering and affirming to hear the conversation from the various leaders about the communities they represented/are part of...

D. The mix of music at Greenbelt with plenty of so called 'secular' performers was an affirmation for things I've hassled about with NCYC and other 'events.' Michael Franti and Shlomo were my musical highlights but I was too tired to listen to Seth Lakeman properly and have done so since and enjoyed it.

E. I had more than one significant conversation about stuff I hold as important with friends old and new...
I am indebted to them for giving me their time and look forward to more chances to chat in future!!

F. The emerging church in the UK as we've encountered it is very much built around worship gatherings where some at home would be built around a specific mission...

G. We simply have to do 'new things' not just keep banging away at changing what exists

H. Enjoyed McLaren on the scripture being written by the conquerors and the danger of reading it in the modern context. "You will always have the poor" was a great example often taken out of context with Jesus quoting Deuternomy that goes on to say you must do something about it... not vice versa.

I. Didn't get to much alt.worship but did pick up some ideas from a variety of sources. I have written up some NCYC relevant ideas about portraits, couches, participation, signage etc

J. I will be ordering a few talks mp3s to go further on ideas that struck me...

More on 'fresh expressions' we visited later...

No comments: