Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Greenbelt.UK.US Trip BACK TO THE START #1






Despite some posts from England it's time to go back over details, add pictures and videos and use this medium as a way to process the many and varied valuable experiences from our trip.

23 hours in transit is still just as tough 10 years on from my last London sojourn but an 'Exit Row' seat and entertainment on demand mean I have no reason to complain. Six films and two TV shows later we arrive and gather at Heathrow 'Starbucks' to process the sad news that Niall's mother in law has passed away. We organise ourselves and sort Niall for a return flight home at lunchtime. It's disappointing for all the obvious reasons but we feel a little sad at the missed experiences that await.

Cheltenham is a haze of stretching the legs, shopping, rest, sleep, briefing for the Tour and fine Italian dining and a terrific group meal. What on earth did happen to that butterscotch sauce?
I'm more than a little annoyed that work at home for the Report at Synod is still to be completed and this gets emailed before we head into Greenbelt Festival so here's hoping it all goes out in the mailing and the actual Presentation will be waiting to be sorted in the week or two after getting back home!! This last minute work here and at home beforehand have me a little weary and stressed as John and Nic could attest... later this will mean I'm tired and overwrought more than I should be.... but we pull it up just before it 'crashed and burns'!!

Is it just me or have all small English [maybe add tourist] towns been overrun by the global trend of consumerism and franchises... Greggs Bakery, Starbucks, Car Phone Warehouse, HMV, etc etc in all the small historic main street buildings. The point is I think the emerging mission paradigm out of the spirit of the current age is one that will be dominated by globalisation, accelerating the post Christian nature of our culture/s and context/s. Sounds like a flamin' essay to me...

As we headed into 'Greenbelt' I was mindful of it being an event I became aware of in the early 80s and might have attended in 2000, 2007 and finally here I was. The description 'Blackstump Festival' on steroids works at first sight but the genuine 'all age' feel is qucikly a striking difference. The UK Festival culture means people will adapt to camping with ease, we'll see mainstream acts on mainstage and they'll be OK with being here...

To be fair, after catching Brian McLaren sans PA and then an 'Emerging Church Forum' I probably have enough material, affirmation, challenges and ideas to last the weekend... seriously.

The simple descriptions of contextual missional communities of faith and the challenge to me to be involved in a new venture are loud and clear... I will still be working this through by the end of the trip!!

McLaren's intro sets out the premise and encouragement of his "Everything Must Change" book and focus on 'kingdom values' and our call to be change agents in that pursuit seems self evident but there are some really strong underpinnings you need to put it into action. It does seem it'd be more reacted to in the US where many here are 'on this page' and the vibe is a bit 'yep, and....' The book came along at a great time in helping me add some depth to stuff I was already working on around the theme of HOPE and so I'm impressed to be hearing more...

Michael Franti does a great mainstage set and we're underway!!

OK my next few posts will cover more ground... I'm just getting back into my journal!!

No comments: