Tuesday, January 24, 2006

The DEAD POOL




At the Cricket Test Match in Sydney this year Day Two was a terribly slow day. Perhaps Kerry Packers recent demise got people thinking and before we knew it a group of my friends and acquantances had hatched a competition which will run for the next twelve months. I know some people will be horrified... such is the nature of these things!!
We have all parted with $5 [not really a significant part of the activity] and entered a list of TEN names of people we think might DIE in the next YEAR... winner with most correct names will take the cash!!

New ABC Radio 702 breakfast announcer Adam Spencer was at the end of our row and I think was equally mortified, amused and wickedly inspired!! Despite taking several hours to finally cave in and craft an entry he wisely declined [first scratching out all the Aussies and then being left with only a few ideas]. Good decision I feel!! Any note could end up on eBay and imagine if Gough Whitlam or equivalent died and within 24 hours the story emerged that Adam Spencer had him on a competition list... I'd hate to be page one with that story instead of Gough!!

So, here's my list [apologies to all concerned]:
Cricketer Bill Brown
Vice President Dick Cheney
Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon
Legend Nelson Mandela [I hope not but you'd kick yourelf if he wasn't on your list]
Cuban Leader Fidel Castro
Morag from Home and Away [what a shame she only hit her head this week]
Political journo Laurie Oakes
Actor Robert Downey Jnr [I really hope he doesn't fall off the wagon]
Actress Blythe Danner [Meet the Fockers. mother of Gwyneth Paltrow
Baseballer Barry Bonds [home run king with drug allegations and bat corking rumours]

I feel I could have done better BUT time was of the essence... I did enjoy Geoff's entry of Harry Potter!! Had I thought longer I would have included Shelley Winters and been up 1 nil already. I considered Humphrey B Bear already gone [just Carols and Supermarket appearances without a show is no future for mute bear!!

Mind you, after all the 'on the day' entries were in one participant wished he could recant his list having remembered and exclaimed "OH, NO... THE BALI NINE!!" But Indonesian justice is slow and even if found guilty the sentence might not be carried out this year!! Is that a step too far? You're probably right!!

Anyhow, I am pleased to hear that Ariel Sharon is doing so well [no realy I am] and imagine my interest when Dick Cheney went to hospital with heart flutters!!

Watch out for the website...

No comments: