Tuesday, February 25, 2014

More than Enough - Asylum Seeker Shoe Campaign





Or 'why did I send a pair of Shoes to Hon. Scott Morrison MP?'

   With both major political parties in Oz pandering to the 'lowest common denominator' policy of deterring 'boats' at any cost, we now have a group of desperate people 'locked up' in Manus Island Detention Centre in less than ideal conditions. They are the face of everything that's wrong with this country's current answers to the challenging questions of a global refugee problem.
   It's hard to know what to do as it's clear that no narrative, no individual story and with respect, no candlight vigil alone will bring change. I think frustrated venting and lengthy despair driven advice to the government on Facebook is the beginning of the end for that form of social media as young people head elsewhere to connect.
   Then came this idea that Amnesty International had identified a 'lack of shoes' as one negative in people's experience on Manus Island. There are recreation opportunities and bush walking which could relieve fears and stress. You can't participate without proper shoes. Detainees do receive thongs/flip flops!! No need to send your Havianas!!

   So responding to a great idea you can read all about here I decided to choose a relatively new pair of my shoes I could send to The Minister so he can pass them on to someone at Manus Island. I hope lots of people I know will do the same NOW!! It cost me $10.95 in a shoe box but they sell the equivalent boxes at the Post Office!! The other reason I sent the shoes is...
 
Matthew 25:35-40 (NRSV)

35 for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? 38 And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? 39 And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?’ 40 And the king will answer them, ‘Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family,[a] you did it to me.’

I believe 'another world is possible' and it's values and ethos are taught and lived out by a young man who was himself a refugee. Who lived and told stories of grace and compassion, who called us to do likewise and who dreamed of communities where people could find refuge, resilience, hope and inclusion.


   Can you spare a pair of shoes [or buy a pair of average sized Dunlop Volleys or as 'no sweat shop' a pair as you are able to find and post them to the Minister for Immigration at the address listed on the FB Page... share your story and a pic on that page if you can...


Address Mail to:
The Hon. Scott Morrison
Po Box 6022
House of Representatives
Parliament House
Canberra ACT 2600

Maybe whole groups of young people could be informed, engaed and motivated to join in and take opportunity to reflect on their action and how that can be part of a faithful response to the values they choose to live by and whose example they follow!!

No comments: