Tuesday, July 10, 2012

SoD 2012 Sleep, Reconciliation, Recreation and Great film clips!!

I went to the 'School of Discipleship' over the weekend despite having been unwell with a respiratory infection for the week... I knew it would restrict my experience but I would get more sleep than at home at the same time... It was good on the whole!!
I have not been before because it clashed with Winter Camp which has come to and end after nearly 20 years of Camp and it's precursor WAC!!
    I was disappointed not to spend enough time chatting with other Novocastrians but did resolve some things, get annoyed by some things, enjoyed the... space, affirmed some things and enjoyed seeing people empowered, challenged and stretched...
    I knew I was still underpower when I had no energy to muster an act for the 'Songfest/Vision/Storytelling' Night!! Not even the 'Frog' joke...
Some tweaking would refresh SoD and it's impact, including rewidening it's promotion next time.       There seemed to be a missing 'variety' of punters from recent past events and I wonder if networkers passed on details beyond their tertiary sphere. Sometimes families and a range of the various attenders can be 'busy' all in one year and back again the next year... who knows... It was a very anglo event too... to do otherwise begins with organisational colaborations and shared leadership.

    In the big picture it's another of those spaces that confirms what's possible if we reordered priority, resourcing and focus with those under 30!! For me that reinvention is not just about one cohort but recognises it's connections with younger people as well and shares a passion for context, mission and discipleship 'with' young people!! Bringing that about involves talking to those who can change things and being 'in' processes that bring it about...
    There's a myth that the main SoD crowd want 'heady academic Bible Study'... that's true for a core. For the most part I think SoDs greater strength is that they actually value it's affirmation of questioning, desire to mesh life and belief and to be able to think, not just be told... it's a subtle but significant difference!!
    Anyhow, I am reminded of who/what my ministry and mission point to... am affirmed by the use of liturgy, visuals and music so creatively and go back to my corner of the world without having to worry about those bigger questions except as I can join God's action where I am...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can vouch for the promo re-think. I didn't hear a word about if until it was a day in.

T

Book Crasher said...

I think it's actually the limitation of Facebook... you put it there and think you've told the world...