Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Wilfred Gordon McDonald Partridge


   In my new role I spend time working next to an aged care facility with a courtyard for sun and activities. With an open window it was obvious today that staff were engaging residents in some great mind games, remembering and news. The activities had a memory aspect like 'On This Day' from the newspaper, music, and a budgie in a cage alongside other props I couldn't see.
It reminded me of the the great Mem Fox story 'Wilfred Gordon McDonald Partridge.'
   Wilfred spends time with some older folks and he works out that some props like flowers or an old football, music etc might help the struggling elderly to remember their stories and early lives. It's a moving and beautiful story. I thought it was a great, caring and smart activity to offer and enjoyed hearing the muted and brief engagements of those gathered.
All this as I undertook the reflective and engaging activity of painting my office!!

1 comment:

Something to Think ABout said...

2 Timothy 4:12 all the way. One of my favourite books to help kids see they have a ministry and to help adults see out too.