Sunday, October 23, 2011

Rugby mad NZ

From my very first training session for University 4ths in Newcastle I knew I had found my game. A contact sport for all body shapes where stopping was as effective as tackling. In the early 80s it was ok to respect the All Blacks as the best in the apartheid effected game and we all owned steinlager sponsored Canterbury brand jerseys. Later as the wallabies improved it was less ok. Former kiwi team mate Glen Turner told me I hadn't experienced rugby unless I'd been to a Bledisloe Cup game at Eden Park and I'm so looking fwd to this next best thing... I'm so grateful to Simone and my family for this 50th birthday year opportunity for a break and to experience a rugby mad nervous Auckland as this tournament has driven them mad for 24 years. Switching to Wanderers after a season off I then enjoyed more than twenty years playing and later coaching in this wonderful world game.... As someone who enjoyed the physical contest on the field I still miss it every Saturday in winter... But two ruptured patella tendons will have that effect on you!! It won't kick off until 9pm And I have all day to decide whether to update that Canterbury jersey with a clima cool Adidas momento. Bring it on!!! Queens Wharf will likely host 20,000 plus people for the after party.... Will the tricolours spoil the fun. !

No comments: