Saturday, October 08, 2011

Eavesdrop at Speers Point Park


   We had the extended family of in-laws at Speers Point Park today for Charlotte's 3rd birthday. It's a brilliant use of recreational space with climbing, swings, music, big slide, flying foxes, wet area, scoot track, and growing tree maze with quiet toddler area and action swings for wheelchairs etc. Minding our table I couldn't help but overhear two mums talking about the way kids are learning and the need for them to have to figure things out as against their standard reply of "just Google it mum! Just Google it!!!" in the next breath they were talking about choosing movies and suggesting to her daughter that she "look a few up on the Internet, read about them, watch the trailers and make a choice" Hmmmn... So she should just Google it? There is a serious discussion behind all that which I'm always aware of preparing things and utilizing shared wisdom and creativity. The issue is, what am I putting out there for others to use, how am I developing thought and practice... Am I a member of the YouTube community or just a leech? Will we develop generations of young people who access content without contributing any... How will human wisdom be added to... Don't get me wrong, I think all that will happen in ways we can't yet envisage... It's different to whether you can learn to tell the time with a digital watch... It'll be interesting to watch in coming decades... I'll be able to just Google it of course!!

No comments: