Tuesday, June 30, 2009

"Breath" Tim Winton

In the past from my very first exposure to the writing of Tim Winton, I so wanted to be really into his stories! I heard snippets from 'That Eye the Sky' at our national youth event evening 'experiences' and also saw the play. I tried to read Cloudstreet, The Riders and Dirt Music but something stopped me from really getting into them.
Not so with "Breath." I picked up a paperback copy at the airport a few months ago in case I didn't have enough reading in the newspapers... and I couldn't stop reading it... from the gripping first chapter, through the lead characters discovery of surfing and into his life and struggles!
I am not a great and enthusaistic reader [at all] except if a biography grabs me, or the humour of Ben Elton or a 'cracking' sports yarn!
I've downloaded the audiobook of 'Cloudstreet' now to give it another shot. For an genuinely Aussie life story of a kid and man who struggles, loves the surf and begins life's journey in this story I recommend it as a Tim Winton beauty!!

No comments: