Monday, February 04, 2008

Superbowl XLII Giants down the Patriots




Despite the Fox coverage of the iconic NFL Superbowl finding its way here in Oz we miss out on the advertising specifically produced for the coverage and for which companies shell out the entire budget of a small nation to produce!! However you can catch them here on MySpace.

Meanwhile a game of NFL American Gridiron football also took place between the much fancied New England Patriots who were undefeated all season until this 'grand final' and the late finishing New York Giants with their previously 'green' and underperforming quaterback [Eli Manning]!! Manning has been known for giving up intercepts and getting to playoff games but losing them... until this year where they knocked out huge competition.
Having fallen just short 38-35 against New England in the final game of the regular season at the end of December it was clear that this improved outfit were in fact the only team capable of stopping the Pat's... and so they did!! Tom Brady has been to and won three previous Bowls but NY rushed him, broke their rythmn and restricted their stars when it counted. NE made huge gains when picking up NY's mistakes BUT couldn't convert enough into points!! It's probably in my top 2 or 3 games and I've been watching since about Superbowl XIII.
These days I only get to see a few early games [no more ABC or SBS Tuesday Nights] and then watch a few games from December onwards. Had I blogged yesterday I would have said that I thought they could do it and because of my soft spot for the city of New York I'd be cheering for the Giants [as any self respecting 'Raiders' fan would... Oakland that is not Canberra]!! So I took my admin work, jobs to do list and brainstorming for Easter Camp WA to Wests to watch the big screen! I was lucky to do so!
Not as lucky as the three other lads who'd turned up to watch just before me. In walked three American girls out here on holidays!! When I left they were on last drinks after some tequila slammers and skols when the team they followed were scored against and had been told one more round and they'd be 'cut off' from bar service!! I have no idea what pub they were to hit next but I am sure they kicked on and will have great headaches tonight!!
So again, enjoy those adverts and go Raiders in 2009!!

No comments: