Monday, July 02, 2007

Humanity

We are glorious at our best and it isn't always when things are great!! Perhaps most often not!!
I am just emerging from a week of ill health [don't go there] and thought what an amazing evening of TV and life it has been!!

Andrew Denton's 'Enough Rope' London bombing survivors
The surreal contrast with 'The Concert for Diana' but specifically listening to Princes William and Harry in their youth, candour and enthusiasm in the sadness yet celebration of 10 years since their mothers tragic death!!
Mikey Robbins 'Australian Story' about his life and story and the revelation of lapband surgery!!

All splendid buggers!!
In adversity, grief, reflection... on the upside of anger, climbing out of something or just taking in the view each character I watched tonight taught me something important!!

You know the theory "Blogs and hanging your stuff out there in public" so my thoughts and resolutions will remain mine BUT the abiding reflection I had is that between an amputee, two sons who lost their mum ten years ago and a slowly emerging comedian overcoming a life of struggle, issues and destructive behaviour we see the best of human spirit... learning, reflection, progress and determination to grow, to live and love and to be "better" for run...

As I go off to sleep tonight I will listen to the new track from "Crowded House"

"Don't Stop Now"
Another pleasant day in the countryside
Has ended up in tears on a stormy night
Cause you can't follow my directions home
But don't stop now

God knows where the satellite's taking us
I can't tell what's right in front of us
But I hang on every word
But don't stop now
No, don't stop now
Give me something I can write about

Get fooled by the lightning every time
See the after image of my outline
And you turn the wrong way round
Well, don't stop now
No, don't stop now
Give me something I can write about
Give me something I can cry about

In a church house ten miles out of town
Is the devil gonna track me down
And travel through a tunnel in the trees
Just remember that's how you get to me

There's no number on the house
The birds are heading south
Sometimes you have to turn
The wrong way round
Sometimes you get too close to nowhere now

This is helpful in the silence
I wait with a blank piece of paper
On the top of my head
And all I want is something I can write about
All I want is something I can cry about



Doxology
Give me a blank piece of paper God
And on it I will write all the wrong choices
All the twists and turns
All the anger
And the destructive stuff that won't change a thing

Take it from my hand and turn me around
Around to where energy lay
In others, in laughter, in honesty and in the next step I take

Send all of us to places of reflection
But don't leave it there
Wet towels on the locker room floor of intent
twisted tape scrunched like a disappointing scoreline in the game

Send us out to share our humanity, ourselves
Be the marker point for checking direction
Help us tell a different story next time 'round
So we move ourselves and others from quietly screamed desperation
to a different place.......

written by R.Hanks July 2007



No comments: