Monday, June 04, 2007

New Music from Powderfinger


"Dream Days at the Hotel Existence" is a solid and entertaining new album from the Brisbane boys but like many critics I was looking forward to those one or two standout tracks that take you in a different direction... didn't find them!! It's a very produced record and I liked what I heard. I will need to sit quietly with the lyrics in hand to find that track I'll put on repeat in the car!! I think its a sleeper that'll grow on me...

The album title comes from the 2005 book "The Brooklyn Follies" by Paul Auster, which Bernard Fanning was reading during recording.

It does also contain the song "Black Tears" with overt reference to the story of the controversial death in custody on Palm Island.

I bought the limited edition with a DVD some classic 'finger tracks.

Nobody will replace 'The Oils' as my 'go to' band for escapist enjoyment and loud music live BUT these blokes probably get the closest!!

No comments: