Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Here's the Problem

I have no problem stating on the record that as a person interested in politics [with latent ambition to stand for preselection in my mid twenties] my personal standpoint has radically changed over the years!! I was once a radical capitalist based on the premise of reward for effort, small government and the market forces being enough to provide for a country so isolated as Oz!!

Only after my teens did my ethics, faith and life experience convince me of the need for social action, siding with the poor. We need leaders with long term vision. Since Keating floated the dollar we have not been in danger of real decline and our attention should turn to how we spend the huge tax windfalls coming the way of Federal and State Governments!!

Here's my dilemma....
I cannot vote Liberal/National because of:
My commitment to reconciliation
A belief that work choices is based on the wrong assumptions and goals
Iraq
University funding cuts
Privatisation of key public utilities
Our dreadful treatment of asylum seekers

BUT...
neither do I particularly like what I see and hear from Kevin Rudd!!
I'm with Dame Edna... do we really want a Prime Minister called "Kevin"... no offence!!

I could vote for someone with a genuine long term vision for sharing wealth with all
Usable public transport
Strategies against global warming
A policy about social capital and the ability of people to serve
An index measuring the health and well being of our community alongside our GDP
A 25 year plan and vision for the values we might espouse
to name just a few things...

Saw Kevin on TV today with his polling [so to speak] and it all seems a bit hollow to me!!
So I guess what I hear is a poll driven and safe campaign banging away at what research tells them makes the government vulnerable and no straying into potential minefields just in case your ideas don't gel!!

C- for me, can do better... and that includes the shackles currently attached to the Shadow Environment Minister...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My thoughts (ok, hopes) are that there is a degree of cautiousness that has come from being in opposition - especially in light of the increasingly shrill attacks from the government. There's been some visionary stuff (eg environmental car development), but granted not much. Still more than the government. There's a huge negative list for the government so the ALP at the very least can't be any worse. I'll give them a go and expect to hear the vision articulated by Prime Minister Rudd.

I suspect there is also a case that with the government coming up with a half baked "better" option every time the ALP announces something, e.g. Broadband. It could be that they're waiting until the real election when it's too late for the Libs to respond.

My final hope - that PM Rudd destroys thoroughly the "Liberals are better at economic management" meme.

Book Crasher said...

Hi Fozzy,
Yep I think you're right also about keeping some powder dry for the 'real' election.
I guess I'm just looking forward to someone or some point at which they will 'rise above' the year to year [week to week] stuff and articulate a vision that is a genuine 20-50 year plan....

Still simply saying 'sorry' might be on that track!! Cheers!!