Thursday, November 02, 2006

2006 ARIAs and the Hall of Fame



"Don't Wanna Be the One"
I'm an innocent victim,
I'm just like you
We end up in home units with a brick wall view
I can't believe the perfect families on my colour TV
If I don't make it to the top it'll never bother me
And I don't wanna be the one
And I don't wanna be the one

I'm an innocent bystander caught in the path
Waiting out the back while the corporate attack
Assaults the senses with relentless scenes of passion and delight
I cut up all the options and went running for my life

Midnight Oil

With a brilliant rendition of an Oils live classic from the album 'Place Without a Postcard', Silverchair, Dennis Handlin [Sony BMG] and Bono via video all played a role in inducting the unique, the marvellous, the inspirational and the no longer together 'OILS!!!!'

Rob Hirst was suitably emotional, Peter flighty and Gary Morris [speech cut from the broadcast] was Gary Morris!!

Musical legend Stevie Schubert shared the occasion as we trooped along to a very interesting event that stops during commercial breaks and has a 45 min dinner break in the middle. It runs 5.30pm to 9.30pm with a 7.30pm delayed telecast!!

The screens, sets and band set ups were interesting to watch.. with the 'Human Nature' set the most elaborate!!

We enjoyed Bernard Fanning with Claire Bowditch and Kasey Chambers, Wolfmother, Eskimo Joe [disowning their cardigan past], Pete Murray and John Mayer...

BUT the reason I went was to pay final homage to the band I miss seeing live all the time, who inspire my faith, keep me challenged, produced 25 years of great aussie protest rock music!!...

I sent a brief message to Arlene Brookes at the Oils old email address and blow me down it got there...

To Peter and indeed all the Oils,
I just wanted to use this most obvious of forums [PG's website that didn't go through so I tried their old email address] to congratulate one and all on the Induction into the Hall of Fame at the ARIAs yesterday. It even dragged an old Oils fan and Youth Worker along to the culturally interesting event for a one off attendance!!

I thought everything was brilliant, I was disappointed you guys hadn't found time to rehearse but knew the Chair would do a great job and thought it was an inspired choice of song!!

Congrats on an inspiring, entertaining and sustaining career... I have been reflecting this week on how much I miss the 'down time' of seeing you all live in Newcastle and Sydney and get renewed energy from those special nights of music and power!!

I salute your activism, am made variously motivated and uncomformatble by the lyrics... moved to act and be better!!

I am also inspired to do my part in building a world according to the values it was intended to operate by and only hope to pass on a sceric of your energy to young people I work with in my role as a Youth Worker in the Uniting Church NSW Youth Unit team.

I guess Gary Morris will always be Gary... but I was so impressed by Rob's emotion and words and your kind thoughts for us punters Peter!!

I have my copy of Flat Chat [rather than reading the set list and burning my own compilation!! I have been driving around the F3 in tears of joy at the memories of times I've heard those songs 'live' and tears that this phase of connecting with the Oils in over [tho the DVDs remain!!]

As a veteran of more than 30 or so Oils gigs since before Diesel and Dust!! My story was remarkably similar to Tim Winton in terms of surfie mates I ribbed about their music, telling me to sit down, shut up and not speak again until I had actually listened to 10,9,8... on their crackly cassette walkman...

I have never looked back...

Your number one promoter
in the Uniting Church,
a fan who's been there at Speers Point Park, Newcastle Workers, Selinas, Newtown Theatre, Sydney Ent Cent, Newcastle earthquake Relief, Tsunami Benefit and Manly Leagues...

Cheers one and all,
Rob

Rob Hanks
UCA NSW Synod Youth Unit Coordinator

OK.... normal transmission will now resume!!
I was even motivated to go out and buy 'The Hilltop Hoods' CD but couldn't find their debut one... maybe next week!!

The less said about Axyl Whiteheads display the better...

No comments: