Saturday, October 30, 2004

NEW YORK

Those who know me well are aware of my love for the city of New York [part of an ongoing love- hate connection with pop culture, politics and values of the USA]...

We have been lucky enough to travel overseas three times [twice to New York] and I love it... I had planned to return earlier this year to the Tribeca Film Festival but other events and budgetary needs overtook. The thought of the trip had even motivated me to submit six years of income tax details...

However, back to New York...
While I love the views and feeling of Spring/Summer in Sydney, nothing beats the activity, bustle, excitement and pace of a city designed around the tourist... history and pop culture in every block!! We visited the first time in late Spring 1998 on the way home from eight weeks backpacking in Europe... it was 34-38 degrees C most days in New York and Washington and it was brilliant!!
My highlights included:
Standby ticket success and getting into David Letterman's Late Show
Kenny Kramer's Seinfeld Reality Tour
NBC Store and studios
160 Broadway Marble McDonalds
Empire State
Yankees baseball game v Atlanta Braves
Food, Tower Records, and Barnes and Noble
Walks thru Central Park
T-shirt and electronics and sports stores...
BUT most of all just hanging out in Times Square anytime day or night.....

Our second trip was specifically taken to include THANKSGIVING and the Christmas Lights at the Rockefeller Centre [plus seeing the Wiggles in the Macy's Parade]
That trip included:
The lights and the parade
Thanksgiving Dinner at the Westside YMCA [accommodation of choice]
New York Rugby 7's
The Soup Kitchen [deserved inspiration for the Seinfeld Soup Nazi]
Christmas Shopping
The Lion King on Broadway
Hot Coffee escaping -5 to -7 C temps
Planet Hollywood



If you have broadband or similar net speed you can check out the technology and vision of the LIVE EARTHCAMs including Times Square and links to some at Ground Zero!!

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/

OK OK, sometimes I just sit and watch and dream of being there... I admit it!!
Everytime I see a TV show or movie set there you can pick out places you know!!

I would go there tomorrow if it were possible!! And I'd arrange with friends to be outside TGIF's or Wendy's to wave and call on the phone like a geek!!


No comments: