Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Music # 9 'Life for Rent' Dido

Brilliant voice!! That's the overriding thing about Dido!

Life for Rent
I haven’t really ever found a place that I call home
I never stick around quite long enough to make it
I apologise that once again I’m not in love
But it’s not as if I mind that your heart aint exactly breaking

It’s just a thought, only a thought

But if my life is for rent and I don’t lean to buy
Well I deserve nothing more than I get
Cos nothing I have is truly mine

I’ve always thought that I would love to live by the sea
To travel the world alone and live my life more simply
I have no idea what’s happened to that dream
Cos there’s really nothing left here to stop me

It’s just a thought, only a thought

But if my life is for rent and I don’t learn to buy
Well I deserve nothing more than I get
Cos nothing I have is truly mine

While my heart is a shield and I won’t let it down
While I am so afraid to fail so I won’t even try
Well how can I say I’m alive

If my life is for rent…

While this song is ostensibly about a particular relationship, the emotions and experience it speaks of is relevant to many kinds of relationships or the general search for belonging. The principle can be true that if we just want to rent and aren't 'prepared to buy' then things will remain temporary in nature and vibe.

It's a reflection on 'where you fit' or belong and whether your life is more like a boat being tossed around on the ocean...

It maybe that the images don't strike a chord or the metaphor doesn't relate for you... but it will for many people. Ideally the song clip or an audio-visual based on the theme of 'rent' is a worthwhile background to listening.

I have used this song for a number of led reflections amongst colleagues in youth ministry to ask questions about their 'belonging' or what they have chosen as foundational or the source of their strength and energy...

No comments: