Saturday, January 25, 2020

10 Movies I've enjoyed for Whatever Reason #10 "Dead Poets Society"




2008 outside the Trump Hotel Columbus Circle, 
Robin Williams about to ride off into Central Park

   A collection of some of the best scenes ever in film tie together this story that could have used a better edit at some clunky points and meanders a bit with some storylines but has so much to say about adolescent struggles for identity and self esteem when the emotional side of that is so real.
 The meta-narrative cops some criticism as American liberal agenda and drivel but maybe those critics don't relate to the personal struggle described...
   "Carpe Diem... that's seize the day" Sometimes when I watch it I'm angry at what happens to Neil Perry, sometimes understand that some parental pressure to be lawyer, doctor or Ivy Leaguer must be soul destroying. In my own small way I never took on art beyond Year 7, not wanting to have my work judged or wondering at it's value long term... like much of my story, hindsight asks me "so what use was learning German for four years?" Nowadays, without the techniques to really nail some of my creative ideas I wish my total inability to master the pottery wheel had not held me back...
   I could also relate to Todd Anderson and most certainly Knox Overstreet's fumbling and laughable efforts with the woman of his teenage dreams...
   No doubt this film showed early indications of just how immensely talented Robin Williams was as an actor, with that fine line between comedy and tragedy or drama... Vale!

No comments: