Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter Sunday "Window in the Skies" U2



   I've been listening to lots of tracks yesterday and today [including 5 hours in the car to and from Merriwa for Easter Sunday!!]. I've kept coming back to this unusual U2 track in my journey through the Easter weekend!!
   It was released as a single and as part of the '18' selection at a time of transition for U2 who seemed to be searching for a new direction and ended up investing themselves in what became the 360 tour and 'The Claw' stadium stage. When I first heard it I thought of scraps of lyrics... an in between song.
   It has overt references to strong Easter images and the OT connections with parts of the narrative. It was also part of the inspiration for my song lyrics for "Stories of Hope" and the idea of using snippets of ideas to grow the imagery of the song!!
   This version of the clip features a clever homage to the history of modern music with glimpses of U2 amongst 300 lucky punters at Richmond's Corner Hotel in Melbourne.
   Second year in a row I've not been at an Easter Camp somewhere but I still talked about 'Les Miserables' and 'Chocolat' and the JJ Abrams idea of the 'mystery box' of magic in unlocking the mystery of Easter as a reminder and call to be culture makers, contributors to community and to see this as just the beginning of action, not the achievement of some heavenly insurance!!

No comments: