Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Greenbelt.UK.US # 4





Next stop on our trip was London via train!! This was a wierd part of the trip for me... having spent days here in 1998 I had little compulsion to do the 'touristy' stuff yet wanted to not waste down time but to do something memorable and/or something to know I was in London!!

I was also in a strange place from all that I'd experienced on the trip and at Greenbelt. I was also a little tired and had a sore back which had troubled me for a few days... a walk to Kensington for the Chiropractor proved fruitless as it was no longer there!! Instead I kept walking and went to the Diana Memorial and walked all the way past Royal Albert Hall to Knightsbridge and a quick look at Harrods and surrounds....

Having trumpeted about Lillywhites sports store in Picadilly I was disappointed to catch a train in and discover it had become like most chain discount sports outlets instead of a sports department store!! I later learnt that's exactly what had happened... teken over by the sports world owner of Newcsatle United... So no rugby jersey or West Ham soccer shirt to buy!!

Later that night there was a debrief at the local for those not attending a West End Theatre... Had a chance to chat with with Jen R [just one remarkable expat happy to give me the time of day and actually spend time chatting and listening... an all too rare quality I find!!]

Couldn't sleep this night and drifted off about 2.3am after a late night train trip... Still trying to decide what to do with 2/3 of a day the next day...

Tuesday 2nd September by now and have until about 2pm to do 'whatever'!! Headed back to Harrods for some specific shopping and then into Covent Garden and a walk around the whole of the central area including Oxford/Regent Sts, Spittlefields and back down to Picadilly... thoughtful day... London does that to you... even a fine day is cloudy but it warms up a bit!!

Tried to find a healthy lunch but everywhere was too busy for a lone diner so I caught the train to South Ealing and ended up at the pub waiting 20mins for lunch that almost made me late to the church...

Here we met Jonny Baker at the home of 'Grace' community.... one of those legendarily chronicled communities from the emerging church which shares lots of creativity and ethos which inspires and challenges!! We were later to meet Steve Collins at the pub and hear more but Jonny's focus was on his take on much of the scene, the work of CMS and other questions about 'fresh expressions'. It was a good processing of all the various perspectives by running them past Jonny... though I was a little annoyed at being deflected from asking a couple of questions about Grace because we'd be meeting Steve later.... I was interested in again hearing more than one perspective... anyhow!! Another day!

Jonny's interesting take on 'mission' as working on "healing creation" was an interesting holistic image... the other focus of the conversation was on the gutsy 'pioneer ministry' and how the training needs some work and there isn't a bottomless pit of money!!

We spent time in the afternoon doing a group debrief [uncomfortably in the other local pub] after the girls had spent time with Jenny Baker and talked amongst other things about her 'Sophia' network... there's a lot to be said for a female based support/empowerment network!!

Over dinner later we had a great conversation with Steve Collins whose concise and insightful history, read and perspectives were a great wrap to the UK part of the trip!! He spoke also about Grace and its team collaboration, promotion and networking, website presence and focus on ethos/values around which they gather. It's about peoples potential contributions, it mostly works, there's no offering but it offers direct debit and has no paid person. It's now a 2nd Saturday of the month gathering!!

I was still pondering tonight and found it hard to sleep... I have unfinsihed conversation!! I awake at 4am on the 3rd and so get sorted, leave messages and catch a 6:15am train to Heathrow having established I did need to get to the new Terminal 5.... got there way too early BUT I am now travelling alone so get used to that because I get stressed about catching the right planes and trains!!

Bought some stuff and headed off to NEW YORK!!

No comments: