Saturday, August 18, 2007

Reflection 30 min Worship Resource

I put together a number of things I have been using recently and a focus on 'Stories' to offer as a reflection for our recent Staff Gathering at work!!

Here's the main bits!!
The references to the context are all changeable and feel free to use this elsewhere!!
[Dean I'll whip it into another shape and send it along]

ENTER
With an audio-visual of a candle in the powerpoint slide
We listened to...

“SOMETIMES”
The traffic is jamming for miles up ahead
Releasing emotions deep in my head

I wish it was easy easy to breathe
The words that we needed to get some relief
I still hear you crying, then I see you smiling
Even when I close my eyes

Sending a rescue coming to find you
Do you think that we could save another day
Try not to break down walking the old ground
I don't want to throw the life we had away

Blocked up and cluttered tired we stand
Alone together was just not the plan
Something undenying in the underlining
Even if I close my eyes

Sending a rescue coming to find you
Do you think that we could save another day
Try not to break down walking the old ground
I don't want to throw the life we had away
Alex Lloyd EMI 2005

NOTE
Which is the song Alex Lloyd sang on 'Dancing with the Stars' in Oz as 2 of the professionals performed a stunning routine. Catch it here http://www.ifilm.com/profile/mr_pickle/video/2725977?sublisting=videos&page=1

CALL read aloud
Minute by minute day by day
We are called to be people of the story
To share and serve in the bringing about
Of a world according to the values of God

Close enough we can touch it
Far enough away we need to join God’s activity in the world
Personal enough it can be our own story along the way
Each one of us has a story worth hearing
Each one of us can do that for others

You are invited into a time of reflection as we begin our meeting today
Through writing, music, story and questions
Let’s give God our time and start in the right way

THEN
The next clip was introduced with a simple reference to a focus on stories and how this song was sung acoustically by Phil Jamieson from Grinspoon on ABC TV on 'Enough Rope' after the amazing interview about his addiction to crystal meth [ice]... captured the footage from youtube of course.... see previous post...

“MINUTE BY MINUTE”
This is a new year lullaby I cannot fake it
You know the reasons don’t ask why
When I got drunk and crashed the car were you still near me
Still I’ve got writing on my face

Minute by minute day by day
Though I can’t touch you you’re so far away X 2
Minute by minute Day by day [two packs a day]

This is an Easter crucified buried in levels
Though I’m still bleeding I won’t die
I can see violence in your eyes
I’ve run out of water
Satan is singing me lullabies

Minute by minute day by day
Though I can’t touch you you’re so far away X 2
Minute by minute day by day X 2 [two packs a day]

I know its time to say goodbye
But I’m still wasting
This is no time for me to ……
Now that its over said and done
Our house is empty
Where do I go now you have gone

Minute by minute day by day
Though I can’t touch you you’re so far away
Minute by minute day by day X 2 [two packs a day]
Grinspoon UMI 2007

EXPLORE/REFLECTION
I shared about my recent exploration of stories and my belief that everyone has a story and its worth hearing and forms part of my approach to mission and ministry fundamentally

STORIES
STORIES ARE COMPELLING BECAUSE:

1. THEY CROSS BOUNDARIES OF LANGUAGE, CULTURE & AGE
2. WE SEEM TO BE WIRED FOR NARRATIVE/STORIES
3. THEY DEFINE WHO WE ARE/IDENTITY
4. THEY CREATE COMMUNITY AND SHARED VALUES

LUKE 19: 1-10

PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS

We watched the film trailer [also all over the net] and talked briefly about this story while I noted that with more time I'd ask the group top explore the three main stories together: Phil J, Zacchaeus, and Chris G

ENGAGE
What’s a story that defines you,
or says something about who you are?

What’s a story,
that you want to be
[or ought to be] part of?

NOTE
This is a song I wrote the lyrics for which Phil and Jill kindly put a tune to and bashed out on mp3 for me to use and teach

STORIES OF HOPE
ONE:
Stories of faith calling us to explore
What matters now is who we might be
It has to be believed to be seen
God’s story of love who could ask for more

CHORUS:
Stories of faith [calling us onwards] Stories of love [our example to follow]
Stories of hope [showing there is a way]

TWO:
We can all see what love has done
Jesus stands in solidarity
Actions louder than words making history
The values of God won’t be undone

CHORUS:…

THREE:
Dreams come and go around what might be
Hope against hope inspiring all things
We travel along despite our struggles
God’s call comes alive in you and in me

CODA:
Story of faith [calling us onwards] Story of love [our example to follow]
Story of hope [showing there is a way]

R. Hanks P.Newton J.Newton 2007

SENDING OUT

DOXOLOGY

Give me a blank piece of paper God
And on it I will write all the wrong choices
All the twists and turns
All the anger
And the destructive stuff that won't change a thing

Take it from my hand and turn me around
Around to where energy lay
In others, in laughter, in honesty and in the next step I take

Send all of us to places of reflection
But don't leave it there
Wet towels on the locker room floor of intent
twisted tape scrunched like a disappointing scoreline in the game

Send us out to share our humanity, ourselves
To be the marker point for checking direction
Help us tell a different story next time 'round
So we move ourselves and others from quietly screamed desperation*
to a different place.......
*Thoreau
Rob Hanks 2007

The End




No comments: