Wednesday, March 07, 2007

"Bad" U2


When I get annoyed/tired/stressed/thoughtful I love to listen to some of my favourite songs.... before I head off to sleep!!
Sometimes I'm in a "Sometimes" Midnight Oil mood OR "Sound of White" Missy Higgins or like tonight U2's "Bad" BUT the Luka Bloom version.... confession/reflection/grief/letting go/and moving on...

Still my favourite U2 concert version is from the Boston "Elevation" concert moving from 'Bad' to 'Where the Streets Have No Name' lifting the audience and viewer... to a worshipful high!! A celebration of God hearing and understanding the tough stuff.

It's two years ago today that a mate and a colleague Dave Edwards was killed in a car accident and it's been a thought-filled and poignant time of quiet work and some fun unpacking a car full of sound gear and chuckling about having the brands and the size of speakers as recommended by Dave which usually only gets used on Volume level 2...

Bad
If you twist and turn away.
If you tear yourself in two again.
If I could, yes I would
If I could, I would let it go.
Surrender, dislocate.

If I could throw this lifeless life-line to the wind.
Leave this heart of clay, see you walk, walk away
Into the night, and through the rain
Into the half light and through the flame.

If I could, through myself, set your spirit free
I’d lead your heart away, see you break, break away
Into the light and to the day.

To let it go and so to find away.
To let it go and so find away.
I’m wide awake.
I’m wide awake, wide awake.
I’m not sleeping.

If you should ask, then maybe
They’d tell you what I would say
True colours fly in blue and black
Blue silken sky and burning flag.
Colours crash, collide in blood-shot eyes.

If I could, you know I would
If I could, I would let it go.

This desperation, dislocation
Separation, condemnation
Revelation, in temptation
Isolation, desolation
Let it go and so to find away
To let it go and so to find away
To let it go and so to find away

I’m wide awake, I’m wide awake, wide awake
I’m not sleeping
Oh no, no, no.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

Drove through Jannali today on my way to run a program in Engadine. Always think of Dave as I drive past the church - and particularly on a day like today when all our PA gear was going haywire. Where are the experts like Dave when you need them?

And it was only last week when i met someone who had recently joined Blacktown UCA. When I mentioned that I had some connections with them previously, they said, "Oh you must know that fella called Dave who everyone always talks about? He must've had one helluva'n influence?"

Yes, indeed he did.

Two years?? it only seems like yesterday. He is still missed.

Book Crasher said...

Yeah and to find myself doing sound/tech for Kids Campout with all our gear was a bit surreal!! I recently bought a mic stand locally from the limited selection and can now tell the difference between a Dave suggested model and the crap one we have added to the collection...

It's just a bl&*dy huge loss!!