Monday, December 30, 2019

10 Movies I've Enjoyed for Whatever Reason #04 "The Pink Panther"

   There are more mainstream comedies to come BUT this left turn is an acquired taste. In recent years catching them on classic channels I have to admit the films have not aged quite as well as I remember by comparison with some of my other favourites!!
   At the time, as each one in the series was released, we (mate Graeme and I) went to Newcastle movie theatres and laughed so hard our sides ached, more than once sliding virtually onto the floor.
   Peter Sellers 'Clouseau' is combination physical comedy, laughable french accent, and ridiculous capers from an accident prone Policeman/Detective who somehow solves the crimes (inspite of himself). No scene really bares verbal description: from pirate costumes with inflatable parrots that spring a leak; bombs; cars in swimming pools; and swooning female co-stars. Then comes Bert Kwok's Cato, hired to surprise attack Clouseau, using martial arts, to 'keep him sharp.' My favourite is the launch from within the fridge/freezer covered in icicles, after Sellers character relaxes having searched in vain... Just talking about it makes me want to watch again, even given Peter Sellers personal struggles, poor behaviour and story...

"Does your deerrg bat? pardon? does your deer bat? He goes to pat the dog, which growls and bites him... "I thought you said your deerrg does not bat? That is not my dog!!
See, doesn't make sense does it!! Although if you have 4 minutes here are some examples...

No comments: