Monday, December 23, 2019

10 Movies I Enjoy for Whatever Reason


1. "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope"
I've set this challenge for myself and it's unlikely I'll complete it in ten consecutive days, but here goes!! At this time it has to be first choice, 42 years on (Douglas Adams would be happy)
My Uncle Colin's Chelsea Theatre, Melbourne St, East Maitland 1977 (matinee)

I guess now it's hard to imagine what it was like to have never seen the yellow font 'chapter update' disappear seemingly vertically into the screen when nowadays it's an effect in iMovie. Bigger still imagine it's the first time you've ever seen anything like the Battleship getting bigger and bigger onscreen as it passes over you into full view, outstanding!! Western, meets fable, meets big story with a presence of 'other' George Lucas hoped would resonate with any faith or spirituality and offend none... so we had "The Force"!!

“The force is what gives a Jedi his power. It’s an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the Galaxy together.” Ben Obi Wan Kenobi

- George Lucas likes to start stories in the middle (Indiana Jones for example)
- Look past his historic editing ( I still have the version where the Stormtrooper hits his head)
- My adage is 'good scripts make good films' Star Wars disproves the theory
- If you loved the 1960s Batman TV series, chances are you embraced this film wholeheartedly
- Hooked by this one I couldn't wait for V and VI
- I try to forget I, II and III (fair effort but...)
I'll leave it there for now...
- Classic quotable lines
- Making lesser known actors famous
- Creating fandom, 501st, Comicon hype, Museum exhibits galore... iconic indeed
All that and Droids, though "these aren't the droids you're looking for..."

Beyond all that I was just a kid who loved movies!!

No comments: