Saturday, December 28, 2019

10 Movies I've Enjoyed for Whatever Reason #02 "The Blues Brothers"



   Well, probably time for my second film (no particular order)... John Landis' "The Blues Brothers" (1980) which I didn't see until a few years later and is memorable because by then it was second or third film on all nighters and I reckon I saw it at least 12 times before I'd actually seen the whole film (falling asleep at different parts).
   It featured the uncontrolled comic genius of John Belushi, was inspired by two actual Chicago based Blues musicians. The humour is oddball but classic, the cameos, bit players and Police are a perfect foil for the crazy 'mission from God' to raise funds for their childhood orphanage... delivering the money to the Office of the Cook County Assessor (staffed by a youngish Steven Spielberg).
   Eventually we would learn of how controversial it was as then Hollywood's most expensive film largely due to the sheer number of trashed automobiles = 103 (especially old Police black & whites).
   The characters within the story and the iconic scenes make this a memorable acquired taste in comedy... and the music is brilliant!! Orange whip?

No comments: