Tuesday, June 28, 2022

"TOP GUN Maverick" Spoiler Alert



"The machismo posturing of elite flyboys and the joys of male camaraderie" is how film reviewers Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat highlighted their article on the original 1986 Tony Scott directed film "Top Gun." I was 25 when I saw the film at least twice at the Cinema and half a dozen more times on VHS video at various movie night sleepovers! I was in the process of trying to leave the Steelworks, finish a part time Economics Degree and the incredulous plot, stunts, acting, humour and bravado of this film summed up the spirit of the times. We loved it, in all it's escapist, mysoginistic, jingoism!

It's been a long time coming (including pandemic delay) and I can't possibly see "TOP GUN Maverick" and know how you'd experience it compared to the original. I worked hard to go with no expectations, beyond articles and interviews trumpeting CGI-less authentic flying scenes...

To see this film and fully appreciate it 
means suspending judgement about:
- faceless enemy pilots blacked out masks + 'superior' jets
- The absence of actors Kellie McGillis + Meg Ryan
- suspending belief, rules & wisdom about who lives or dies

But it's cinema, storytelling, make believe and escapism! For that I give this movie 5 Stars! 
The best films have a good story and try not to get in its way, a cast who fit the roles AND they take you on an emotional roller coaster! Miles Teller (who will win an Academy Award one day) is perfectly cast as "Rooster," the son of "Goose" who was killed in a flight accident (hitting his head on the canopy after activating the ejector seat) with 'Maverick' as Pilot in the original film!

To me, it isn't corny, it pays homage to music and the original iconic scenes, even beach volleyball! 
It's still a flyboy film, but with a female and culturally diverse 'Top Guns' returning to train for an impossible mission! Of course I liked "Bob!" The old fashioned picture walls and nostalgia work!

The fact I had tears in my eyes through much of the film puts me right back in 1986 with all it's upheaval, emotion an growing to be done! It meant I was invested in the characters, able to escape any cynicism in the predictable yet surprising film. It was clever and creative. 
I can't stand the length of films today, but this one was over fast, without distraction and I'd see it again in the Cinema! I found it to be incredibly sad, poignant and heartwarmingly funny!
It has to be said, Tom Cruise knows how to pilot these films, just like a obsolete F-14 with a twist (or is that a roll)!

Bradley 'Rooster' Bradshaw "My dad believed in you. I'm not going to make the same mistake"

Rear Admiral "Thirty-plus years of service. Combat medals. Citations. Only man to shoot down three enemy planes in the last 40 years. Yet you can't get a promotion, you won't retire, and despite your best efforts, you refuse to die. You should be at least a two-star Admiral by now, yet here you are. Captain. Why is that?" [pause] Maverick "It's one of life's mysteries, sir"

No comments: