Friday, May 11, 2018

"1984" Midnight Oil



Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!!!
Old 16mm footage, current day interviews, the NDP and the sense of the time with nuclear threat feeling very real. As one punter has put it, this was our Oils, the relentless tour for "Red Sails in the Sunset" just before the world embraced them in 1986/7.

It's exactly the time my mates made me listen to the Oils and I was hooked!!! So that album and 10 to 1 were on high rotation everywhere I went and especially in the Unit at Islington. The docs threads different concerts together with seamless versions of the songs and the result is a sublime cinema viewing!! I will pre-oredr my DVD from Madman Film but if you get the chance, see the film this weekend at the movies!!!

Spoiler Alert....

Michael Lippold, former stage manager, is a huge hit with his 1980's denim shorts, insights and sheer enthusiasm! Jim Moginie's description of what it was like to be in the band was spine tingling...
Finishing with 1986 and Ray Argall's footage for "Beds are Burning" points to the worldwide take off and invites 'what could have been' if Peter had been elected to the Senate back then...


No comments: