Thursday, June 02, 2011

"A New Culture of Learning"


For a couple of years I have been trying to track down the name of a guest on ABC Radio 702 'Conversation Hour' [now known as 'Conversations'] who worked in Schools in western Sydney. My memory of the dialogue was not so much about schools and education but the framework he advocated for learner centred education and creating spaces for engagement. I particularly recalled talk of designing and redesigning schools, refurbing foyers, atriums and libraries as inviting learning spaces...
I had trawled the podcast list but was 'looking for a needle in a haystack' and just this week stumbled on the right one which while labelled with a topic sentence, didn't step out and hit me, previously... I'm talking about Greg Whitby and I've re-engaged with his podcast and am even more sure that his contextual skills and insights have direct relationship to the task of faith formation, discipleship and engagement with young people. Greg would be a great resource for thinking about what kind of environment you'd want to create for ministry and mission with young people where you are!!
For ministry, mission and indeed discipleship to grow I am convinced there needs to be 'space', permission and validity... Greg speaks to all [3] in a school education setting and I believe would be an excellent catalyst to our conversations.
To this end I was pursuing him to come and share his insights with a bunch of Youth Workers in August... we have since hatched a slightly different plan, just as I've found Greg... now I'm thinking how else this might work...
In the meantime his website included a post about a book which I thought could similarly speak to our discipleship task... many Christian books are caught up in where they sit on the theological spectrum more than the idea they are attempting to address and this one would lead to a process of asking how it informs or challenges your existing ideas or something new you hope to hatch... you can then bring your own biases onboard!!
It's called "A New Culture of Learning" by Douglas Thomas and John Seely Brown and you can read more here or Greg's post here

To mark this theme I have just downloaded the book via the Kindle Store to my iPad!!

1 comment:

Craig said...

Rob, thanks. This is immensely helpful for my Assembly research. BTW I've got some great video stuff by Greg Whitby talking about learning and technology. I agree that he'd be an excellent speaker. I'm wondering about bringing John Roberto out for 2012. Perhaps there might be some links....